Believe it or not I started writing a post about guns and school violence this evening, thinking about the recent shooting at Reynolds High School in nearby Troutdale. But it turns out I had more to write there than I thought, so I'm going to let it marinate for a while longer. No sense in rushing that out the door.
So instead I present what I'm quite sure is the opposite of school violence in every way: a healthy smoothie recipe.
I've made this smoothie a few times this week and it's growing on me. You'll need:
- 2-3 cups of unsweetened almond milk, depending on how much you want to make and how thick you like your smoothies. I really like the almond-coconut milk blend.
- 1-3 bananas, barring the same.
- A tablespoon or less of peanut butter.
- Two tablespoons of plain, Greek yogurt. I'm partial to Fage.
- Cinnamon and ginger powder sprinkled, to taste. I find I enjoy a healthy amount of cinnamon.
- 0-3 strawberries, to taste.
- 1 quarter-cup of egg-white protein powder, because now it's definitely a smoothie and not a milkshake.
- 1 tablespoon or so of Vitamineral Green powder, to taste and preference. Now it's definitely not a milkshake.
I made one of these for my brother yesterday. His first words were "Why the hell is it green?" and then he proceeded to explain how he's not a smoothie person.